Woodford County Democrats
Save the date: Friday, September 21
The evening of September 21 is our big annual Founder's Day Dinner fundraising banquet at Eureka College. We've moved it to a Friday and lowered the individual ticket price to $35/person if you pay before September 1, to make it more accessible for regular folks. You don't have to be from Woodford County or an "official" Democrat to join us. Includes mingling, meal (vegan options available), and program, including speeches. Keynote speaker to be announced. For more information or arrange for tickets, contact us; or if you're ready right now, buy tickets online with card or PayPal at the Founder's Day Dinner ticket page, or send a check and who you want the tickets delivered to, made out to Woodford County Democratic Central Committee, P.O. Box 1051, Metamora IL 61548-1051. (And if you're a big spender, we also have a $500 Wagonmaster table of 8 with your name on it.)
578 days without impeachment • 37 days until you can start voting them out for it: Early voting starts 09/27!
If you were wondering if there were Democrats, centrists, and progressives in Woodford County: Now you know! We all do better, when we all do better. Click in any title below to expand it and get more information:
17 or older? Register to vote!
If you're a U.S. citizen, not in jail, and will be at least 18 years old by November 6, 2018, you have the right to vote, and should register to vote now, and again whenever you move. You can register online, by mail, or in person:
Everything above can also be used to update your address when you move.
Be a paid Election Judge
Election judges sit at the polls, get paid $115-$160 per election day, and get to meet all the voters at the precinct. There are usually only 1 or 2 election days per year, and election judges serve from 5am to around 8pm. Woodford County needs more judges! Want to know more? Contact us for election judge info.
Are you sure you're a Republican?
- Does it bug you that adult minimum wage today ($8.25/hour) is less than teenage kids made in the 1950s ($11/hour in 2016 dollars)?
- Does it bug you that American society has been rearranged to be "too busy" to provide for the mission you were raised to believe in, to feed the starving, cure the sick, and teach the masses?
- Does it bug you that some politicians are so twisted inside that they say they "condemn" another politician they know is bad for America, but still "endorse" him/her at the same time?
- Does it bug you when someone says that America's better off when fewer people are allowed to vote?
Most of America's traditional values — such as a family-supporting wage for 40 hours/week of work; the moral examples of curing the sick and feeding the needy; the drive to make every child into a responsible, learned, contributing adult even if the parents weren't; the basic principle that no innocent American citizen should be denied their vote — are all Democratic principles. If this sounds more like you, get it touch with us and we'd love to talk to you, or just come to our meetings (below) and see for yourself.
About the Woodford Democrats
The Woodford County Democratic Central Committee (WCDCC) encourages local involvement in political activities, based on Democratic principles. You do not have to join any political organization to come to most Woodford Democrat meetings or activities. We provide election oversight by recruiting precinct committeepersons and election judges. We endeavor to assist and recruit candidates and volunteers who will put the average citizen's concerns above special interests that enrich the few at the expense of the many. Our guiding principle is: We all do better, when we all do better.
Next meetings & events
(meet Democrats, talk politics, do business — and sometimes eat)
- Friday, September 21, 2018, 5:30-6:30pm mingle/cocktails, 6:30pm meal, 7pm program: Woodford Democrats Founder's Day Dinner fundraising banquet at the Eureka College Cerf Center, S. Burgess St. & Reagan Dr., Eureka, IL. $35/ticket if paid before September 1; $50/person after or at the door. Includes meal (vegan options available) and full program, including keynote speaker (to be announced). For more information or arrange for tickets, contact us; or if you're ready right now, buy tickets online with card or PayPal at the Founder's Day Dinner ticket page, or send a check and who you want the tickets delivered to, made out to Woodford County Democratic Central Committee, P.O. Box 1051, Metamora IL 61548-1051. (If you're a big spender, we also have a $500 Wagonmaster table of 8 with your name on it, or $1000 Outfitter for two tables. Donations without attending also accepted: We'll use your seats for high school/college students and other worthy Democrats. Just let us know.)
- Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 6:30 meal orders & mingle, 7pm business, The Outpost, 1200 S. Main St., Eureka: Regular Woodford Democrats meeting. Wherever you're from, you're invited — no Democratic "membership" required! Meet new Democratic-minded people and organize campaigning!
Calendars: more Democratic & civic events
The first calendar shows Woodford County Democrats selected events: blue indicates Democratic and progressive events, and orange indicates other civic events.
For people who like to include calendars on their devices: here's the iCal (.ics) feed for Democratic events and iCal (.ics) feed for civic events.
The second calendar combines other group's calendar events; we don't control what is on these calendars, but provide them here for your convenience. Calendar sources by color: Progressive Events in the Peoria Area (from Kat Modisette, Washington Twp. Precinct 16 committeewoman)
Help get it done
Woodford County Democrats are locally controlled and organized, and get very little support from the state and national party. So your donations support local decisions on Democratic issues, organizing, and candidates, including local and county Democratic candidates and campaigns. You can donate instantly to us online by clicking here, or contact us to arrange for cash or check donations.
Volunteer, organize, and participate
We're always looking for good people, from barely political to very political, and from background helpers to people going out and making the case. We're locally operated and controlled, growing our own base, and do campaigning and events, as well as coordinating with other nearby groups. Just some of the roles: precinct committeepersons (who get to know their neighbors), election judges, and even people who want to run for local, township, county, and state offices, as well as normal volunteers who help us get the word out. Contact us if you want to get involved or just find out about local and Peoria-area events.
Get the announcements
E-mail us to ask about our announcement or volunteer lists, or other opportunities to meet. We get information about what's going on and when, as well as information on local candidates, and our locally-controlled e-mail list and meetings are a great way to get updated.
Links to political resources
For Democrats, progressives, centrists, and recovering Republicans